Highlights of my projects from the recent and further past. Most of these were teamwork projects where I took leadership or significant part that required in-depth understanding of the technologies mentioned below.
December 2020 to present • Client: Ben Fox, Shepherd.com
I have build Shepherd.com from grounds up with close collaboration of the founder and a visual designer. Shepherd aims to revolutionize how we discover new books.
- Python and Django to build the public website and the content management system (using Django admin)
- Heroku for hosting, PostgreSQL for data storage, Cloudinary for processing images and Cloudflare for CDN
- GitHub Issues for collaboration and GitHub Actions continuous delivery
I have also written about building Shepherd in detail.
Moving SoundCloud Sonar to Google Identity-Aware Proxy (IAP)
March 2021 • Client: SoundCloud
This short project involved moving Sonar, SoundCloud’s internal tool to use the IAP proxy to authenticate and authorize employees using Google single sign-on.
Journeyman Recruiting Platform
June 2019 to 2021 • Client: Journeyman
I am doing regular maintenance and feature development on this platform specialized in recruiting German craftsmen for English speaking countries.
- React and Redux to build a responsive app for both desktop and mobile
- Serverless Framework to implement API endpoints and event handlers as Lambdas
- DynamoDB and Elasticsearch for data storage and retrieval
- Continuous delivery with AWS CodeBuild and CodePipeline
- AWS ApiGateway, SNS, IAM, CloudWatch
SoundCloud 3D Secure Payments
August 2019 • Client: SoundCloud
Helped SoundCloud’s Payments Team to implement 3D Secure payment authentication protocol in order to achieve PDS2 regulation compliance. The project heavily relied on pair programming.
- Adyen for processing credit card payments
- Ruby on Rails and MySQL on the back-end
- React and Redux with TypeScript at the user interface
Kiro Project Management Analytics
2019 to 2021 • Client: Kiro
I took over this project after a prototype phase and continued the development to shipping a minimum viable product (MVP).
Besides software development I helped the founder in shaping the product strategy, project management, hiring and collaboration with the UX designer.
- React, MobX and Rebass with Styled System to build a responsive app for both desktop and mobile
- Stripe payments integration
- Python with Flask on the back-end and a MongoDB database
- Infrastructure on AWS managed with Ansible
- Continuous delivery with CircleCI
Rebuilding SoundCloud OAuth Connect
March 2019 • Client: SoundCloud
As part of SoundCloud’s modernization efforts I rebuilt the OAuth Connect user interface using a modern web stack.
- React and Redux with TypeScript to implement the user interface
- Jest for extensive unit testing
- Webpack and Node.js for development tooling
Oct 2017 to 2019 • Client: why do birds
MusiCurve is a simple to use tool that allows arranging precomposed and reusable brand music to a video and exporting a final video file.
My responsibilities not only included building the software from grounds up but also introducing why do birds to software development and the project management of software projects.
- Vue.js and Vuex for UI prototyping and final implementation of a heavily interactive user interface
- Web Audio API for processing audio signals (wrapped by Tone.js)
- Webpack and Node.js for development tooling
Microservice Project for the Automotive Industry
* The main client is a Fortune Global 500 company but can not be named here due to NDA.
A microservice for the Java EE platform consuming data from Kafka, turning it into a time series database exposed via a REST API over HTTP.
As a software architect on a small team my role included a wide range of responsibilities from making sure the development follows the detailed specification and internal corporate software standards to building features and making sure they are shipped to the client’s infrastructure.
- Java 8 EE application running on Payara Server
- JAX-RS and Swagger for implementing REST endpoints
- Kafka for consuming incoming data
- Cassandra NoSQL database for big data persistence
- Multi-project multi-module Maven setup for dependency management
- OpenShift and Jenkins for continuous delivery
SoundCloud Partner Tools
2012 to 2017 • Employer: SoundCloud
A series of ongoing projects of business-to-business services to SoundCloud’s key partners ranging from large international record labels to small independent ones. The implementation involved building well scoped (micro)services.
- Scala, Java and (j)Ruby for business logic and internal APIs
- Finagle Framework for concurrent RPC
- MySQL, Cassandra and Hadoop for storing and processing data
- Messaging with RabbitMQ and Kafka
- Continuous delivery of Docker containerized applications to Kubernetes
- Team owned most of the DevOps duties
2014 • Employer: SoundCloud
Complete rewrite of the performance analytics pages SoundCloud provides to the music creators on the platform.
- D3.js for data visualization
- Backbone.js for user interface
- Node.js and Webpack front-end developer tooling
- Go and Scala for the supporting microservices
2013 to 2021 • Open source project
Started as an afternoon hack now used by thousands daily SoundCleod is a desktop application which brings SoundCloud to macOS and Windows without using a web browser.
- Built using Electron to wrap SoundCloud’s web application
- Freely downloadable open source software with external contributors on GitHub
- Deployed using a (mostly) automated automatic update process
Gawker Web Performance Optimization
2012 • Employer: Gawker Media
Lead the optimization project which eliminated front-end bottlenecks and reduced page load time from 5 to 3 seconds (50%) on all websites of the Gawker Media blog network (Gawker, Lifehacker, Kotaku, Gizmodo).
- Various web performance analysis tools for finding bottlenecks
- Introduced Backbone and RequireJS for a better front-end architecture
- Scala on the back-end
iWiW.hu Social Network
2005 to 2011 • Employer: Virgo Systems
iWiW was the number one social network in Hungary before Facebook. I participated in various sub-projects during the years worked at Virgo Systems.
- Java (J2EE) with Maven on the back-end
- Implemented API’s for third parties with OpenSocial and OAuth